How often do you come across a news article, a tweet or a blog entry and say “What the heck?!” I do it all the time, and so I started “What The…?!” a new feature here at For Love and Books – basically just a catch-all for my Bookish Thoughts – be they current events or general topics.
Today’s Topic? Mobile Blogging Apps
**This post is great for blogs of any style, genre and topic! Not just for the bookish community!**
I love my blog, and I love spending time writing my posts and responding to comments. But, I also have a 3 year old who loves to play outside in our backyard or at the local indoor playground, both places that I don’t really play with her – yet it’s not really logical to have my laptop with me. So I find ways to blog from my mobile devices! I thought today that I’d share some of my favorite Apps with you!
- Blogging Apps: WordPress and Blogger both have their own apps, for iPhone and Android. These are pretty basic, although the WordPress app definitely has more functionality as far as the dashboard goes! Blogpress is another great app – it syncs with all the major blogging platforms (Blogger, WordPress, Livejournal, Typepad, etc) and has a relatively simple learning curve. Of the three main “Blogging” apps? I would definitely recommend Blogpress.
- Evernote: If there is one tool that I would say I can’t live without? It’s Evernote! And I’m not talking about blogging, I’m talking about everything! But it is incredibly handy for blogging. My good friend Lis (at A Trucker Wife) called Evernote “Like Pinterest, for life!” You can install Evernote on your tablet, phone and computer – and it all syncs up so that you access all the information in all the places. It’s great, I snap photos, videos or voice clips with my phone and share them with my iPad and my computer all at once! (I have a notebook specifically for photos of books I want – if a friend is reading it or I see it on a shelf? I snap a photo!) I also write all of my reviews in Evernote first, keeping them stored there and ready to copy and paste. I have a running “TBR” list too. Then I have regular life things there, shopping lists, reminders, recipes, etc! It really is an all-purpose tool!
- Dropbox: The best way to describe Dropbox? It’s a lot like Evernote (I prefer Evernote, actually) although I find that Evernote is more for keeping notes and lists, where Dropbox is great for files (songs, images, etc) but really – it’s a personal choice. This blog post by Bridging the Nerd Gap is great at comparing the two services.
- Twitter: You definitely need a twitter app of some sort – there are so many out there with so many different features! But if I’m bored while I sit at the library and my daughter is in a playgroup? I love to lurk on twitter – I’ll click blog links and read/comment on reviews. I personally use Tweetcaster – but there are so many out there to chose from! Some of the more popular apps: Twitterific, Echofon, Hootsuite and Tweetdeck.
- Instagram: Ok; this isn’t a “must-have” but Instagram is a lot of fun!! It’s easy to share your pictures across many social media platforms – and the photos are perfect size for blog posts!
- RSS Reader: Once you’ve done all your writing, and tweeting? You could probably kill some time reading blogs with an RSS Reader app! Some of the more popular choices: GReader, Feedler and Pulse.
What are your favorite Mobile Blogging Apps?